Charity Revolution is committed to keeping your information secure and managing it in accordance with our legal responsibilities under privacy and data protection laws where we operate. By visiting our website, App, or using any of our services, you agree to your personal information being used and disclosed in the manner set out in this Policy. In certain countries, we will not collect personal information from you unless you have specifically agreed to us doing so (for example through your acceptance of this Policy or via an electronic tick-box or other similar measures as required by local privacy and data protection laws). You do not have to provide your personal information to us, but if you do not provide certain information, we or your charity will only be able to provide limited services to you.
The personal information that we collect
When you visit Charity Revolution via its websites or mobile applications, as is the case with most websites, certain limited information (such as your browser type and IP address) will be collected automatically. When you use the App, you will be asked to verify your contact information and preferences so that the charity and its carefully chosen partners and affiliates can contact you in the way(s) that you have indicated.
At various times you may give information to us. This includes information that can identify you, including your first and last name, telephone number, postal and email addresses, health information, and details of your employment and financial situation.
We may also gather information from cookies, web beacons, or similar technologies on the internet. You can find out more about how we do that in the relevant section of this policy below and in our Cookies Policy. We use publicly accessible information to verify the information we are provided with and to manage and expand Charity Revolution and the charity’s business. With the prior user’s consent, as applicable, that can be withdrawn at any time, to provide services requested by users, we also collect IP addresses, mobile device identifier details, your location, navigation and click-stream data, the time of accessing the website, pages you viewed, what you searched for, the duration of your visit, and other details of your activity on the internet.
If you ask us to connect with other sites (for example by clicking on the Twitter link) we may get information that way too. In connection with electronic communications we facilitate through a Site, we use electronic or manual checks to monitor such communications for trust and security purposes. We obtain data from you either by you inputting your personal details, by the automatic collection of information about you as you use the site, when we speak to you or from third parties or websites. Third-party information may include your browsing habits and location data.
How we use personal information
We use your personal information for the following:
- to market and advertise our products and services to you. For details on how to opt-out of marketing communications, please see our website;
- to provide you with personalized services like recommendations and tailored advertising. This may involve using cookies and other similar technologies. Please see our website for Cookies policy;
- to help us understand, manage and improve our products and services;
- for internal purposes like management, research, and analytics, to improve business efficiencies;
- to undertake surveys and research;
- to comply with applicable laws and regulations.
- allowing Charity Revolution approved affiliates to promote products and services relevant to support giving to their Charity App users;
Communications from us
As part of the Charity Revolution App community, you have indicated you would like to receive information. We may send marketing primarily in the form of push notifications to your charity’s App, but we may use email alerts, mailings, SMS, and bulletins where you have clearly allowed us to, together with tips, and news stories related to giving and fundraising for your chosen charity.
Providing information to others
We work closely with several trusted partners with whom we need to share personal information to help us operate the Charity Revolution service. These include:
- our partners and participating charities;
- law enforcement bodies to comply with any legal obligation or court order and, where we are otherwise requested to provide information, we may provide it but only in accordance with applicable privacy and data protection laws.
Who processes your personal information?
- Information that can identify you “personal information “will be collected, processed, stored and used by us, and passed to and processed by Charity Revolution and other third-party data processors acting under our instructions. These people may be engaged in, among other things, the fulfillment of your information requests and the provision of support tools and services both on the site and from the company. They may also be helping us maintain the integrity and security of the Site, including processing services and emails and messaging platforms on the Site.
- We may also periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from affiliated entities, business partners, and other independent third-party sources and add it to our account information. Examples of information we may receive include travel or location history and demographic information. By submitting your personal information, you agree to this collection, transfer, storage, and/or processing.
- Our Site may also collect and store some information (including personal information) locally on your device using your browser and data caches. This could include, for example, location information. We use this information to make our site faster when you return to the Site.
- Please also remember that when you share information on the Site, it may be “indexable” by search engines, including Google, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites which may mean that the information is made public. For example, if you share messages or images. Please be careful about what you disclose and do not post any information that you expect to keep private. We or charity are not responsible for how third parties may disclose information that you directly share with other third parties.
Working with other service providers and our group companies
For operational reasons, we transfer personal information to service providers and our group companies who help us manage our systems and processes and to deliver our services to users.
These service providers and group companies may be in the USA, the UK, other countries in the European Economic Area, or elsewhere in the world. Different privacy laws may apply in these countries and you understand and unambiguously consent to the transfer of personal information to these countries, group companies, and service providers.
We only make these arrangements or transfers where we are satisfied that adequate levels of protection are in place to protect any information held in that country or that the service provider acts always in compliance with applicable privacy laws. Where required under applicable laws we will take measures to ensure that personal information handled in other countries will receive at least the same level of protection as it is given in your home country.
In the event your personal information is transferred to a foreign jurisdiction, it may be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction and we may be required to disclose it to the courts, law enforcement or governmental authorities in those jurisdictions but we will only do so where required by applicable laws.
Keeping information secure
We invest significant resources to protect your personal information and take appropriate technical and organisational measures to guard against unauthorised or unlawful processing, against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, misuse, modification or disclosure of, your personal information. However, no internet-based site can be 100% secure and we cannot be held responsible for unauthorised or unintended access that is beyond our control. We believe the measures implemented by the site reduce our vulnerability to security problems to a level appropriate to the type of data involved. We have security measures in place to protect our user database and access to this database is restricted internally
Keeping your records
We keep your information for as long as required to operate the service in accordance with legal, tax, and accounting requirements. Where your information is no longer required, we will ensure it is removed in a secure manner and, where required by applicable law we will notify you when such information has been removed.
We will comply with data protection law. This says that the personal information we hold about you must be:
- Used lawfully, fairly, and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only for as long as necessary for the purposes we have mentioned to you.
- Kept securely.
How we may disclose your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to enforce our policies, defend and protect the rights, property or safety of Charity Revolution, the Site, and the users of the Site, to comply with our legal obligations or in the interest of national security, public interest or law enforcement in any country where the Charity Revolution has entities or affiliates. For example, we may respond to a valid request by a law enforcement agency or regulatory or governmental authority (including tax authorities). We may also disclose data in connection with actual or proposed litigation, or to protect our property, people, and other rights or interests.
We share your information with third parties (including other affiliates) who help deliver our products and services to you. Examples include third parties who are hosting our web servers, analysing data, and providing marketing assistance. These companies will have access to your personal information as necessary to perform their functions, but they may not use that data for any other purpose.
We may also share your personal information as follows:
- If you opt-in to receive information about the opportunities, products, or services of third parties, we supply your contact information to those third parties, so they may contact you;
- You may have accessed our website through a hyperlink from the website of one of our trading partners. If so, you consent to your personal details being shared with that trading partner in accordance with our contractual relationship with them.
- We may also share anonymised information with third parties, including investors. This information does not contain any personal information.
International data transfers
Personal information about users may be stored and processed in any country in which we, our affiliates, or service providers maintain facilities, which are outside of the country or region in which you reside.
When you download or use apps relating to our websites, we may receive information about your location and your mobile device, including a unique identifier for your device. We may use this information to provide you with location-based services, such as map locations, advertising, search results, and other personalized content. Most mobile devices allow you to turn off location services. If you have questions about how to disable your device’s location services, we recommend you consult your device’s manual or contact your mobile service carrier or your device manufacturer.
Inquiries and other electronic communications
You may send inquiries to us via the Charity Revolution website. If you choose to send an enquiry this way, the message will go via our third-party supplier, who will be contractually bound by clauses of confidentiality. Inquiries will be available for review by our employees and agents, who may use any such information as part of the services we provide.
We may also from time to time, use third-party e-mail servers or push notification servers to send and track receipt of such communications, and analyze the pattern of such communications for trust and security purposes as well as to gather data, such as inquiry and booking data (on an anonymous basis), to assist us in better understanding our business. Our system does not hold messages indefinitely and they may not be accessible after the message has been delivered to you. Please, therefore, print a copy of any message which is important to you.
Analytics and social media plugins
We use analytics tools on our App and website to provide the service you request, identify service issues to us, and improve our services.
These tools may be provided by third-party service providers and may include the collection and tracking of certain data and information regarding the characteristics and activities of visitors to websites.
If you use the buttons on our App or website linked to social media (e.g. Facebook) or similar sites (for example “Like” and/or “Share” buttons), content from our App or website may be sent back to that other website and depending on your privacy settings may be visible privately or publicly (for example to friends, followers or generally to anyone who has access to your profile page).
External links and social plug-ins
What are Cookies and Web Beacons
Our Site has a dedicated section on cookies which you can read here.
Web Beacons. A web beacon is a small image file (usually a transparent 1×1 pixel image) used for tracking purposes. It may be placed in a webpage or HTML email to record when the content was loaded
They may be used to track the traffic patterns of users from one page to another to maximize traffic flow.
You have the right to request copies of certain of your personal information and details of how we use that information. If you think any of the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, you may also request it to be corrected. You also have a right, to request us to stop processing your personal information.
In relation to these rights, please email or write to us at the address below. Please note that we may, where permitted under applicable law, charge a small administrative fee and or request proof of identity. We will respond to your requests within all applicable timeframes.
In certain circumstances (for example where required or permitted by law) we might not be able to provide you with access to some of your personal information, but where appropriate we will notify you of the reasons for this.
How do I correct or update my information?
Please email email@example.com to correct any information we are holding that you believe is incorrect. Please specify which app and site where you found the details that need to be changed.
How do I opt out of receiving marketing communications from you?
You may opt out of receiving marketing communications from us by the following means:
- Contact us directly via email or contact details on our site.
- Follow the instructions included in each communication.
- Please remember that if you have recently changed your preferences it may take a short period of time for those preferences to become effective.
- Check the settings tab within the app.
- Delete your account or app from your device, you will no longer be able to use the features in the app if you choose this option. Just stop using the app, does not stop communications you have already given permission to.
How long will we keep your personal information?
How Do I Contact You?
If you have a complaint about how we have handled your personal information you may contact us using the details below and we will investigate your complaint. You can also use the contact page on our website or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Version 2.0 – September 2022